Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'M OUT $50 AND A TEMPORARY JOB

A couple of weeks ago, I went canvassing near where Houghton Road meets Old Vail Road. Despite the extra time it took us to get there, I managed to get 61 door knocks. A couple fo days later, Caitlyn Jensen, my supervisor, asked me what happened and then accused me of knocking off work at 6:39 instead of 7:39. That's the time stamp the Palm Pilot I had gave to my last knock. I didn't have an explanation other than to suggest that it could've been a software problem. Jensen then said she would have to send others back out to get the "lost data."

The next paycheck, I found that I wasn't paid for that day. I sent an e-mail to the Gifford's campaign about this and other matters and as a result I had a meeting with Jensen and Kyle McNally, the field director for southern Arizona for the Democratic Party. Kyle said he wanted to get the pay issue behind us and told me I would not be getting the $50.

Later, when I talked about this with other canvassers, I discovered the likely cause of the time discrepancy: The Palm was set to the wrong time zone. Kent told me that that had happened to him before and Phillip (the one who has the blue, 4-door pickup truck) told me last night that Jensen knows about this time zone discrepancy. Apparently, Jensen didn't check the time stamp on the 1st knock I had.

Today, I wasn't given an canvassing assignment and Kyle told me that I was fired, mostly because I hadn't shown Caitlyn enough respect, according to others on the staff. I assume that "staff" means other canvassers and it is true that I've asked others about pay issues.

No comments: