Thursday, August 10, 2006

I MAKE A CHANGE

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I didn't go into the Jackson Employment Center (JEC). On Tuesday I was looking for replacement dress shoes and on Wednesday I had to get my Fluoxetine (Prozac) prescription refilled. These two days of comparative freedom gave me some time to think about my present circumstances and I came to 2 conclusions: 1) I had to get out of the Salvation Army Shelter and 2) I wasn't going to wear a business outfit in the heat and humidity of August in Tucson when I was just dropping off resumes or filling out applications.

On Wednesday, I managed get to into the Primavera men's shelter and I also decided that I had had enough of the Jackson Center.

The new shelter has several advantages over the old one:

- Curfew is 7 PM instead of 5 PM. I now have more time for job searching, errands and "me time."

- Space. Although the sleeping arrangments are much like a WW II submarine, the high ceilings and unwalled patio give me the sense of less restiction. In addition, the patio is open all night.

- Respect. I did not have to turn in my prescription and that I means that I do not have to go to the front desk when I need to take a pill.

- Comfort. The swamp cooler WORKS! Last night, I even had to use a light blanket.

The one drawback is laundry. I can no longer do my own laundry and apparently I have to do a shelter chore to get ¾ths of a pillow case of dirty clothes washed.

No comments: